Thursday, March 8, 2012

I'm Insane: A Saga

I have a propensity of getting involved in a project without thinking about how much time it will actually take to accomplish.

This is the Saga of the Quilt.

I love quilting. I really do. It has a rich history, and it's also one of the only things you can make that you can wrap yourself up in. There's nothing quite like a nice, warm blanket on a cold winters day.

More on that later.

So when I saw the newest season of Doctor who, I saw a quilt on one of the characters beds. I wanted it. I knew I could make it. And it would.

Two pictures, screenshots, from the episode can be found here and here.

Little did I know what a production I was getting myself into.

After some careful (read:lucky)Googling, I found out that this quilt was unsurprisingly called a "hexagon quilt."

I found a tutorial online that was wonderful at ThimbleBlossoms.com, here

I was beginning to realize how much of a project this would be. But at the time, I was working an overnight shift, and had NOTHING to do from the hours of 12pm to 5am.
And when I say nothing, I mean my job was to stare at a lobby and make sure raccoons didn't bother the first floor resident's porches.

Because of the nature of the quilt pieces, I was able to use a bunch of fabric I bought 1 yard at a time simply because it was pretty.

So this is what I have so far...


Yeah. That's like 1/7th of a quilt.
I know.
But I'm going to keep at it.



This is the back, if you were wondering. Not as neat and tidy as ThimbleBlosoms, but neither am I.

The saga will continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment