Saturday, March 10, 2012

Enough is Enough!

"I usually don't do things like this" is a phrase which is almost always a lie.

But seriously, I really do try not to do things like this.
This morning, however, it couldn't be helped.

Saturday morning, wake up, get coffee, and then hit Pinterest.
You know how I feel about Pinterest.

What do I see?



Look, people, I get it. It's hard coming up with fun, original craft ideas. Thats why I hardly ever have any! Anything I come up with is usually some cracked-out amalgamation of 3-7 other crafts I see.

But this chalkboard thing has got to stop.

Has no one thought about the idea of having MORE opportunities to make that "nails on a chalkboard" sound that everyone HATES? I grew up with an old school chalkboard in my house, I know how useful these things are. But think about it. Do you like that sound?

I know that it's retro because everyone uses white boards now.
I know that it's helpful to families because you can label and re-write over and over.
I know...and its going to be okay.
Put down the chalk and come in for a hug. I am here to support you.

There are so many OTHER wonderful ways to decorate, that we don't need everything to be a varying shade of slate. Gray is not a spring color.

A simple Google search for "chalkboard paint crafts" yielded 269,000 results, according to Google.
269,000! ENOUGH PEOPLE!

Chalkboard menu boards, not in a restaurant:


Chalkboard dresser:


"I'll hang some shelves, paint everything the darkest color, and spruce it up with some doodles around the sides"


These two are the ones that get to me. Mostly because I find the texture of chalkboards so tactility offensive.

Why would you want this near your bed?!
The last thing I would ever think is "Gee, these cotton sheets are too soft, I think I'll add some chalk dust to the mix!"

You would erase the bottom in less than a minute. I hated making my bed as a child, I don't want to have to draw it every day too.

I have the biggest problem with this one. I really get grossed out by the idea of this stuff near my food.
Like on a glass:

or, ready for this? I wasn't either so brace yourself.
ITS TOUCHING THE CHEESE.

That's not cool dude.
Not cool at all.

So, to any more chalkboard projects, I have one more image for you.
It's meant to be a reflection on your actions.


Now stop it.
Stop it right now.

1 comment:

  1. Some of those designs look cool, but I guess for photos only. I can totally see how easy it would be to ruin all the designs with a clumsy elbow. Why is this "minimalist" chalk design fad getting so popular? I see the chalkboard menus all over bars and restaurants in Boston.

    ReplyDelete