Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pretty things to make up for my absence.

I will probably post several times today to make up for the fact I haven't posted ALL WEEK.
I am eternally sorry.

Anyways, to make up for it, here is the bracelet I made this week (well, I made a few, but they got away!)

It was my take on this bracelet:


I'm not into going out and buying supplies if I have stuff around the house that would work. So I improvised.
(I will admit that I did go out and by beads for making more of these after I had finished a couple)

What they called for:
Leather Cord (Larger)
Leather Cord (Smaller)
Beads
Button

What I used instead:
Hemp Cord
Nylon Invisible Thread
Beads
Button


So really, you could use anything you have lying around the house.

Ready? OK. Here we go:
(On a scale of 1 to monkey easy, a caveman could do it)
Time: 15 Minutes

1) Cut a piece of cord twice as long as you want the bracelet to be (mine wraps twice around my wrist, so I quadrupled my wrist size) then add a few inches.

2) Fold in half and tie a knot, making a loop just big enough for your button of choice to pass through.

3) Secure it to your workspace.


In my case, that means "Scotch Tape it to the coffee table"

4) Cut a long length of the thread/cord you will be using. Tie one end to the very top of the strings, as close to the knot as you can.

5)Now, I used a needle; you don't have to. But this thread really is "Invisible" so it helped a lot. Anyways, put a bead on your needle/cord.



6) This is the basic principle of the entire bracelet: Figure 8. You are going to be making a bunch of figure 8s with the thread to hold the beads in place. So going to the left, you bring the needle under the left string...

and going to the right the needle goes under the right string.
img src="http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lza5geGB8G1qimlc1o1_500.jpg"/>

This locks the bead in place between the two strings.

7) This isn't really a step, just keep doing step 6 over and over and over until you either:
a) have a bracelet
b) get bored
c) go mad

Here is my wonderful friend Shani modeling the finished product for you folks!

thank

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very crafty. I make bracelets similar to yours with my little cousin Winter. She loves making this type of stuff so I'll have to show her your blog and see if she wants to make one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is cute! I used to make bracelets all the time, but I don't have the time anymore! This seems less time consuming (and is much cuter) than the bracelets I make; I'm going to have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is bad ass. Im stalking your blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to let you know that I was just at Club Monaco and they are selling bracelets like these for a whopping $35.90...not even leather but polyester string!

    So if you ever need to make a quick buck, people will pay a good price for these bracelets...

    ReplyDelete